Sun, Apr 5, 2020
A A A
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Alternative Market Briefing

Public pension funds trim costs to improve efficiency

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Laxman Pai, Opalesque Asia:

Public retirement systems managed to cut down their administrative and investment expenses and took other cost-efficiency measures in 2019, said a survey.

The majority (62 percent) of survey participants with assets exceeding $1.4 trillion in actuarial and market value were local pension systems while the remaining 38 percent were statewide systems, said the 2019 NCPERS Public Retirement Systems Study, conducted with Cobalt Community Research.

In the latest fiscal year, the pension systems averaged 0.55% in administrative costs and investment manager fees, down from 0.6% the year before.

"Pension systems are constantly looking for ways to strengthen their performance and provide a secure income for millions of public servants," said Hank H. Kim, executive director and chief counsel of NCPERS.

During their most recent fiscal year, pension systems reduced their costs to administer funds and pay investment managers to an average of 55 basis points (0.55 percent), down from 60 basis points (0.6 percent) a year earlier. (One hundred basis points equal one percentage point.)

According to the survey, funds reported one-year returns averaging 4.5 percent, five-year returns of 7.1 percent annually, 10-year returns of 7.7 percent annually and 20-year returns of 11.2 percent annually. The results underscore the long-term and patient nature of pension investing.

The timing of fiscal year-ends made a significant difference in investment ex......................

To view our full article Click here

Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing

 



  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. Investing: Ray Dalio's Bridgewater scales down European short bets after $3.2bn windfall, Here's what top hedge funds are buying in the coronavirus stock market crash[more]

    Ray Dalio's Bridgewater scales down European short bets after $3.2bn windfall From Financial News: Bridgewater Associates, the world's biggest hedge fund, has retreated from shorting European stocks after making an estimated €2.9bn ($3.2bn), as its founder and co-chairman Ray Dalio c

  2. Bill Ackman writes letter to shareholders on coronavirus[more]

    Pershing Square Holdings (PSH)'s Bill Ackman wrote a letter to investors outlining his insight on the coronavirus pandemic in the United States. He revealed that PSH completed the process of exiting the hedges on 23 March, netting a gross $2.1bn for PSH, after turning 'increasingly positive on equit

  3. New Launches: LGPS Central sets up investment grade bond fund, Leeds Equity Advisors aims to raise $1bn for PE fund, RLI Investors to launch European last-mile logistics fund, DBL Partners IV targets $450m[more]

    LGPS Central sets up investment grade bond fund From IPE: LGPS Central, the asset pooling vehicle for eight local government pension schemes (LGPS) based in England's Midlands, has launched a global investment grade corporate bond fund in order to meet its partner funds' needs. The po

  4. Investing: Marathon sees cheap assets amid dislocation in credit, Deerfield's health care buying spree, It's time to buy shares again, says BlackRock, Credit Suisse, Fed is buying credit ETFs but one hedge fund is shorting them[more]

    Marathon sees cheap assets amid dislocation in credit From Bloomberg: Distressed-investment specialist Marathon Asset Management is buying beaten-up debt amid the greatest dislocation in credit markets since 2008, according to Bruce Richards, co-founder and chief investment officer of the

  5. People: Carlyle picks 2 deputy heads for Japan buyout advisory team, Ex-Kleinwort Hambros adviser takes senior role at multi-family office boutique[more]

    Carlyle picks 2 deputy heads for Japan buyout advisory team From PIonline.com: Takaomi Tomioka and Hiroyuki Otsuka were named deputy heads of the Japan buyout advisory team at Carlyle Group. The positions are new, confirmed a spokeswoman for the New York-based private markets investment g