Wed, May 18, 2022
A A A
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Alternative Market Briefing

Only 27 million people or companies currently own Bitcoin

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Laxman Pai, Opalesque Asia:

While there are 460 million Bitcoin addresses, only 27 million people or companies currently own Bitcoin, Chainalysis found. And only 20% of Bitcoin that moves is exchanged between two parties, said a report.

According to Chainalysis report, between August and October 2018, some $41bn of transactions were executed - and only $9bn had real economic value.

Economically relevant addresses are controlled by individuals or services who currently own Bitcoin, and constitute only 37% - or 172 million addresses, - while only 27 million of these actually hold the cryptocurrency.

Chainalysis identified that out of the mentioned above 37% of addresses, 86% - or 147 million - are owned by a named service like an exchange or darknet market.

And just 20% of Bitcoin transaction value is an economic transfer. The remaining 80% is "returned as change."

What about the non-economically relevant addresses? They are typically single use and hold bitcoin for only a short time. For instance, three-quarters have held bitcoin for less than a day. The majority of these addresses are either change addresses or 'connective tissue', meaning they hold bitcoin for a short time to facilitate payments between people and services.

To understand change, consider a person who has ten bitcoins and wants to sell one. Because of the way the technology works, the seller has to empty his or her address of all ten bitcoins but will receive nine back in change. Even th......................

To view our full article Click here

Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing

 



  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. Opalesque Exclusive: Long/short equity hedge fund with bear market experience has a winning quarter[more]

    B. G., Opalesque Geneva: Experience during a Russian bear market lasting five years enabled Christian Putz to identify certain investment patterns in the market which he now applies to his current investment strategy. London-based ARR Inv

  2. Opalesque Exclusive: Global equity manager focuses on symbiotic value chains[more]

    B. G., Opalesque Geneva: A global equity manager has made a point of focusing on the phenomenon of shrinking supply chains and avoiding zero-sum business models. London-based Tollymore Investment Partners is a private partnersh

  3. Satori Capital intros energy transition fund, a long/short equity strategy[more]

    Laxman Pai, Opalesque Asia: Dallas-based alternatives manager founded on the principles of conscious capitalism, Satori Capital has launched Satori Environmental, a long/short equity strategy that primarily invests in securities impacted by the global energy sector's shift from fossil-based s

  4. The Big Picture: With the war, E, S, and G have collectively moved back to the fore[more]

    B. G., Opalesque Geneva: In this interview, Dr. Patrick Welton, founder and CIO of Welton Investment Partners, offers his observations on the major macro themes expected to affect the comm

  5. Other Voices: The selloff is overdone[more]

    Authored by Heeten Doshi, founder of Doshi Capital Management. Anyone who is still bearish and calling for more downside is foolish. The selloff is overdone. To point to further declines from here is poor risk management. With the Nasdaq 100 down 22% and S&P 500 down 13% for the year