Latest Other Voices
08. Jun. 2012 | Other Voices: Why the JOBS Act may mean nothing to hedge funds [more]
This article was authored by Phil Niles, Director of Product Development at Butterfield Fulcrum, a global independent fund administration company.
Much has been made in recent weeks about the passage and adoption of the JOBS Act, which at its core
25. May. 2012 | Other Voices: Countdown to EU short selling regulation [more]
This article was authored by Tim Jukes, compliance consultant at The IMS Group.
The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) released a consultation draft on short selling and CDS in January 2012; Jukes discusses the short time
18. May. 2012 | Other Voices: The JOBS Act and its impact on foreign private issuers [more]
This article was authored by Alex Bafi, Partner, and Dinesh Banani, Senior Associate at Herbert Smith, an international law firm.
On 5 April 2012, President Obama signed the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act (the "JOBS Act")
27. Mar. 2012 | Other Voices: How ironic – economic growth may be the poison pill to the 2012 bull market [more]
The author, Steven Michael, is the Founder, Principal & Chief Investment Officer of Stonehenge Asset Management. He has over 25 years experience in the alternative management space. His extensive financial career began in 1985 on the trading floor of the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT). He is also a
23. Mar. 2012 | Other Voices: Not your father's hedge fund industry [more]
Authored by Matt Nelson, Executive Director, Strategy at Omgeo LLC, a financial operations
expert, this article looks at the consequences of pending regulations on the hedge
Much of discussion on the regulatory changes fa
05. Mar. 2012 | Other Voices: Know the difference between conviction and clarity in marketing [more]
This article was authored by Diane Harrison, principal and owner of Panegyric Marketing, a marketing communications firm founded in 2002 that specializes in a wide range of strategy and writing services within the alternative assets sector
29. Feb. 2012 | Other Voices – Inefficiencies in the Emerging Markets High Yield Debt Asset Class [more]
From André Simon, Galloway Capital (www.gallowaycapital.com):
There is a common belief that Emerging Markets High Yield (EM HY) should pay a higher yield than their US HY peers (difference is currently around 200bps) because of EM’s lack of Rule of Law, which in turn affects EM’s recovery rate
02. Feb. 2012 | Other Voices: Who's watching your assets? Lessons from MF Global [more]
The author is Deborah Prutzman,CEO, The Regulatory Fundamentals Group, a firm that
provides an enterprise-wide view of the US laws that impact alternative asset
managers and others involved in the field:
In the wake of MF Global, it can be tempting to suggest myriad rules, which, if
27. Jan. 2012 | Other Voices: A Very Crowded Trade [more]
This article was authored by Richard Harris, fund manager at Port Shelter Investment Management, based in Hong Kong. He compares the investment management industry to what it was like 26 years ago.
I remember a former Managing Director asking me to write a message to Head Office on a blank
16. Dec. 2011 | Other Voices: The truth about hedge fund risk [more]
This article was authored by Charles T. Hage. Mr. Hage is currently
Compliance Officer at U.S.-based firm Mohican Financial Management, LLC.
During his career he has reviewed financial performance measures in
alternative investments and managed financial risk in corporate
01. Nov. 2011 | Other Voices: Agecroft Partners believes Hedge fund branding drives a majority of asset flows [more]
By: Don Steinbrugge, Chairman of Agecroft Partners, a global consulting and third
party marketing firm for hedge funds:
Since the market correction of 2008, a vast majority of hedge fund net asset flows
have gone to a small minority of hedge funds with the strongest brands, marking a
26. Oct. 2011 | Other Voices: Africa needs flexible capital as well as patient capital [more]
By Kayode Akindele, Funsho Allu and Fred Binka: partners of 46 Parallels LLP, an investment management business based in London and Lagos.
The current focus on supplying finance to the microfinance/SME sector is admirable, but orphans a swathe of important companies across Sub Saharan Africa (SS
10. Oct. 2011 | Other Voices: 50 proposals for reform and reclamation, in solidarity with the Wall Street protesters and the 99 Percenters [more]
By Dr. David E. McClean, lecturer in philosophy and business ethics, Rutgers University & Molloy College, and Principal, The DMA Consulting Group
Part of the problem was that only in an environment of crisis can the
self-regulators galvanize themselves to actions that they couldn't
07. Oct. 2011 | Other Voices: Post-Weavering - independent or affiliated fund directors? [more]
By Victor Murray, LLB, PG Dip LP, Accredited Director and who has been resident in the Cayman Islands from 2002. He is the Assistant Secretary of the Cayman Islands Directors Association. He is admitted as a Lawyer in New York and as a Solicitor in Scotland. He has considerable offshore fund experi
29. Sep. 2011 | Other Voices: Operation Twist will prevail – but will take time [more]
Written by: Stuart Thomson, Chief Market Economist, Ignis Asset Management. Issued by Ignis Investment Services Ltd. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. This article contains the personal views of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Ignis Asset Management.
24. Aug. 2011 | Other Voices: Hedge fund net flows will hold up much better if we see another 2008 type market decline [more]
This article was authored by Donald A. Steinbrugge, CFA, Managing Partner of Agecroft Partners, a global consulting and third party marketing firm for hedge funds based in Richmond, VA.
After the market decline of 2008, the hedge fund industry experienced a significant contraction that was drive
08. Aug. 2011 | Other Voices: Internationalization of the renminbi is inevitable but will take time [more]
By Dr Yang Tao, chief economist at the publication, China’s Economy & Policy, and director general of research base for industrial finance at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
In the 1960s, as a consequence of the sterling crisis, US monetary policy and the cold war, a large amount of US
04. Aug. 2011 | Other Voices: Not your father’s fund of hedge funds [more]
By Michael Bernstein, CFA, CAIA
If you ask ten funds of hedge fund (“FOHF”) managers to state whether they generate more of their returns from manager selection or strategy allocation, a couple of things will happen. The first is that all 10 will tell you it is very difficult to quantify how m
22. Jul. 2011 | Other Voices: Uncovering hidden insights from your VAR engine data [more]
The following post was written by John Doran, Principal, SunGard Global Services’ Energy Practice.
Value at Risk (VaR) is a popular metric used in risk management. While it ga
12. Jul. 2011 | Other Voices: Angel or devil: Seeding arrangements for emerging fund managers [more]
The following article was written by Jeffrey E. Kopiwoda of Funkhouser Vegosen Liebman & Dunn Ltd., email: JKopiwoda@fvldlaw.com
Since 2008, increases in investor trepidation and regulatory action have resulted in greater barriers to entry for emerging fund managers. Simultaneously, the number