Beverly Chandler, Opalesque London: The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index was up 0.71% during March, against the MSCI World Index return of 1.76%.
Key highlights for March 2013 included:
Eurekahedge reports that the asset-weighted Mizuho-Eurekahedge Asia ex-Japan Index grew 6.35% in the first quarter of 2013.
- Early reports indicate positive asset flows to hedge funds in March; 1Q 2013 witnessed positive asset flows of $20bn
- Japanese hedge funds witnessed the strongest quarter on record, up 10.78% in 1Q 2013
- Launch activity picks up in 2013 with nearly 200 funds launched so far in the year
- Asia ex-Japan and European hedge funds outperformed underlying markets by 2.3% and 0.41% respectively
- Distressed debt and event driven were the best performing strategies in 1Q 2013, up more than 5% each year-to-date
Regionally, Eurekahedge reports that North America witnessed a continuation of the rally in equity markets amid positive economic data, while Japanese stocks also extended their winning run with further devaluation of the yen. European markets underperformed during the month as concerns over the region’s sovereign debt situation resurfaced due to Cyprus’ banking crisis and questions over its bailout.
The firm writes: "Returns were mixed among the various hedge fund regions with Japanese managers posting the strongest returns during the month. The Eurekahedge Japanese Hedge Fund......................
To view our full article Click here