Thu, Oct 2, 2014
A A A
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Industry Updates

UCITS HFS Index recovers from early losses, up 0.35% in July, +2.25% YTD

Thursday, August 05, 2010
Opalesque Industry Updates - After a slight loss in June the UCITS HFS Index returned a positive result in July 2010. Although just being up 0.35% this month it is a noteworthy result as the first three weeks the broad index was negative. After the first week of trading with nearly every strategy in the red the UCITS HFS Index was down by -0.46%. The second week added a positive 0.41% to the overall performance just to lose another 0.19% in the third week of trading. The last few days of July turned things around though with a positive performance of 0.59%, mainly due to a strong finish of Convertible, Event Driven, L/S Equity and Credit.

From a sub-strategy perspective: out of the eleven strategies seven returned negative results in July 2010. The worst performers were Currency (-2.81%), Global Macro (-1.19%) and Fixed Income (-0.88%). The latter was able to reduce it’s losses in the last week of trading while Currency accumulated them week by week, opposed to Global Macro which took most of the losses in the first week of July. The three best performing strategies were Convertible (+3.12%), Event Driven (+2.73%) and L/S Equity (+1.49%) which all made a significant amount of their profits in the last trading week in July. Due to their strong weightings within the index (L/S Equity in particular) the broad UCITS HFS Index didn’t have to finish in the red and now stands at +2.25% year to date. Corporate website: Source

- FG

What do you think?

   Use "anonymous" as my name    |   Alert me via email on new comments   |   

Banner

Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing


  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. Legal - Court throws out lawsuits related to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac profits, Insider case by SEC is a step removed from Herbalife itself, SEC grants Citigroup waivers, easing hedge-fund curbs[more]

    Court throws out lawsuits related to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac profits From WSJ.com: A group of Wall Street investors on Tuesday suffered a blow in their attempts to sue the federal government over their treatment of the shareholders of mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac af

  2. Launches - Goldman Sachs Asset Management launches GS Long Short Fund, Western & Southern launching international hedge fund, Lansdowne Partners plans energy hedge fund, RBC Global Asset Management launches new RBC Funds (Lux) - Asia Ex-Japan Fund, PVE Capital latest credit strategy to launch on the Sciens managed account platform[more]

    Goldman Sachs Asset Management launches GS Long Short Fund From Marketwatch.com: Goldman Sachs Asset Management has announced the launch of the Goldman Sachs Long Short Fund, which pursues high conviction investment ideas in global equity markets through a fundamental, bottom-up approach

  3. M&A - Goldman fund takes stake in Caxton, Neuberger Berman acquires Orchard Square hedge fund, Top banks, hedge funds buy Perzo messaging platform for $66m[more]

    Goldman fund takes stake in Caxton From FT.com: Caxton Associates, one of the best known macro hedge fund managers, has sold a 9.9 per cent stake in itself to a fund managed by Goldman Sachs, according to a letter sent to its investors. The investment in Caxton, which manages close to $8

  4. Unconstrained bond funds: Where hedge fund strategies meet mutual funds[more]

    From CNBC.com: For all the talk and buzz around indexes, or passive investing, the next big thing for bond mutual fund investors may be strategies that are the exact opposite. The rapid growth of "unconstrained bond funds" has been thrust into investor spotlight given last Friday's stunning news tha

  5. Service Providers - Aequitas Capital launches exclusive provider network for independent RIAs[more]

    From Insurancenewsnet.com: Aequitas Capital, a diversified financial services company, has launched the Aequitas Financial Services Network (AFSN), a singular member network of select product and service providers who offer diverse yet complementary capabilities designed to empower Registered Invest