Opalesque Industry Update: The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index finished up 1.04% in September. A new monthly commentary offers insight into hedge fund performance through the month of September. Some key findings from the report include:|
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished September up 1.04%, with 8 out of 10 strategies in positive territory;
- In total, the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $1.5 billion in September, bringing overall assets under management for the industry to approximately $1.77 trillion;
- The Fixed Income Arbitrage and Equity Market Neutral sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis, with inflows in September equal to 0.95% and 0.71% of the August 2012 levels, respectively;
- Event Driven funds generated positive performance in September, with continued strength in both credit and equity markets based on a demand-driven rally; and
- Long/Short Equity funds delivered another month of positive performance in September, making it the fourth consecutive positive month for both the strategy and equity markets. Performance during the month was led by select positions in large cap banks, which performed positively for managers on the long side in addition to a number of Consumer Discretionary and Healthcare positions.
Industry commentaries and publications are available in the "News" section of our website, www.hedgeindex.com.