Tue, Oct 6, 2015
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Industry Updates

Castlestone confirms it is under FSA regulatory investigation

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Angus Murray
Opalesque Industry Update - On Wednesday, Castlestone confirmed in a statement that the FSA had visited its offices that day due to an investigation taking place. “The company is cooperating fully with that investigation. A further statement will be made by the company as soon as possible.”

Portfolio Advisor reported that the FSA has issued search warrants on two premises in London and one in Chichester, and Castlestone confirmed that its offices were under investigation. The commodity based fund firm has seen several departures over the past few months including those of Connor Noonan, Bradley Tim and Arrash Zafari, compliance head Ed Williamson and other compliance and trade personnel have left the firm in 2011.

According to the Portfolio Advisor report, two of the firm’s UCITS funds have been struggling with the precious metals fund down -1.15% 2011 and the multi-asset portfolio down 5.96% YTD. However, these losses are in line with wider hedge fund industry losses. The firm has also reported that its agriculture fund is up 44% in the past 12 months. When the firm launched the precious metals fund in 2010, Castlestone CEO Angus Murray was bullish on metals as a shield against currency devaluation in volatile times.

Portfolio Adviser notes that all four of the UCITS funds that are domiciled in Ireland (including the precious metals fund) saw the Central Bank of Ireland temporarily suspend subscriptions into the accounts on June 1, but that ban was lifted 10 days later.

Kirsten Bischoff

What do you think?

   Use "anonymous" as my name    |   Alert me via email on new comments   |   
Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing

  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. U.S. hedge funds prepare for worst finish this year since 2008[more]

    Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: U.S.-focused hedge funds are preparing for their worst year since the 2008 global financial crisis, following a series of letdown including the market sell-off in August and the sell-off in healthcare and biotechnology sectors last month, reported

  2. Investing - AQR Capital and Renaissance Technologies raise stakes in Southwest Airlines[more]

    From Marketrealist.com: In the previous part of this series, we saw how institutional investors played Southwest Airlines (LUV) in 2Q15. Now let’s move on to the trades executed by key hedge funds in Southwest Airlines over the same period. … Most of the hedge funds that had significant exposu

  3. DoubleLine’s Jeffrey Gundlach warns of another round of market shakedown[more]

    Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: DoubleLine Capital co-founder Jeffrey Gundlach is painting a bleak future as he warned that the U.S. equity market and other risk markets, such as high-yield "junk" bonds, are facing another round of selling pressure. Gundlach said in an interview with

  4. A hedge fund strategy that seems to have fizzled[more]

    From Gulfnews.com: The hedge fund strategy that has attracted the most money this year is on course to cause some of the biggest losses for investors, in the latest example of the dangers of going with the crowd. Institutions and individuals have piled an estimated $20 billion (Dh73 billion) into ma

  5. Hedge fund Barnegat survives September’s market selloff[more]

    Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: Bob Treue’s $679 million Barnegat Fund proved resilient after another month of market letdown as the hedge fund gained 2.2% last month, bringing its year-to-date gains to 2.8%. Treue said in his monthly report to i