Opalesque Industry Update - Hedge funds recorded the tenth consecutive month of positive returns in April as the Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index gained 1.58%. Most regional hedge funds ended the month with positive returns while Japanese managers delivered downside protection and outperformed their underlying market indices. The industry attracted $28.33 billion in net asset flows while performance based growth was $23.97 billion. Total assets under management increased by US$52.30 billion to cross the US$1.8 trillion mark by the end of April. |
Highlights of hedge fund performance and asset flows for the month are as follows:
- Hedge funds see tenth consecutive month of positive returns, gaining 13.48% over this period.
- Total industry assets cross US$1.81 trillion for the first time since the financial crisis.
- Net flows in the first four months now exceed total net flows for whole of 2010 ($93.9bn April 2011 YTD vs. $66bn in 2010).
- CTA/managed futures funds up 3.12% in April.
- Funds of hedge funds see first quarter of net positive asset flows since 1Q 2008.
- Asian hedge funds witness twelve consecutive months of net positive asset flows.
- Long/short equity funds have attracted US$30.7 billion April YTD.
- Launch activity remains strong with more than 200 funds launched so far in the year.
- Assets in event driven hedge funds crossed US$200 billion mark (for the first time or to reach historical highs).
- 43% of FoHFs investors are planning to increase allocations to event driven strategies over the next 3 months...
- ...while 34% are planning to increase their exposure to Asia ex-Japan strategies.
The full May report by Eurekahedge can be downloaded here: Source