Opalesque Industry Update - Preqin data reveals that hedge funds recovered from negative performance in June, with encouraging July
performance across almost all benchmarks. July returns of 1.64% represent the best month for hedge funds
since January and strong returns have wiped out the losses incurred in June, taking year-to-date returns to
Most single-manager strategy benchmarks produced positive returns in July, with event driven and long/short
funds leading the way with returns of 2.06% and 2.05% respectively. North America was the best performing
region during the month, posting returns of 2.73%.
Other Key Facts:
- CTAs continue to struggle, posting negative returns (-0.75%) for the third consecutive month.
- Event driven remains the best performing strategy category in 2013, with further positive returns of
2.06% in July, taking the strategy to year-to-date returns of 9.06%.
- Funds of hedge funds continue to exhibit dampened returns compared to the overall hedge fund
benchmark with 0.86% returns in July. Long/short funds of hedge funds returned 1.70%.
- Long/short UCITS hedge funds had an impressive July, outperforming the overall long/short
benchmark with returns of 2.50%. The overall UCITS index fell narrowly short of the overall hedge
fund benchmark with monthly returns of 1.52%.
- North America was the best performing regional benchmark in July (+2.73%) followed by Europe
(+1.90%), with both regions outperforming Asia-Pacific (+1.81%) for the third consecutive month.
- 70% of investors believe that the cumulative hedge fund returns for 2013 will be between 7-10%.
The most common estimate of cumulative hedge fund returns for 2013 among investors was 9-10%,
with 37% of investors expecting returns in this range.
- The majority of investors (56%) expect North America to be the best performing region in 2013.