Previously published Opalesque Exclusives
20. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Many institutional allocators feel alternatives are best route to alpha - despite CalPERS [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The news in September that the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) had decided to let go of its hedge fund holdings (worth $4bn) created ripples through the asset management industry at large.
As CalPERS is an influential voice a
19. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque TV: ERAAM: "We believe more in individuals than in company or structure" [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva for New Managers: Two fund of fund of hedge funds managers talk about their investments in emerging managers.
Cyril Julliard and Olivier Kintgen, the two founders of ERAAM,
18. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Gray Ghost Ventures aims to make impact investing commercially viable [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: At a time when investing in emerging markets may be falling out of fashion among some investors, Gray Ghost Ventures is confident that great opportunity exists in the emerging markets. The firm may have a unique view into this space as one of the first private
17. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundup: Hedge funds expected to plunge into China mainland shares as Hong Kong-Shanghai link debuts on Monday: hedge fund news, week 47 [more]
In the week ending 17 November, 2014, in Asia, the HK$694bn Shanghai Hong Kong Stock Connect scheme to directly link the two cities’ share markets will start operations on November 17; hedge funds are expected to plunge into mainland shares once the Hong Kong-Shanghai equity link debuts; bill
14. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Advent makes the case for Geneva in a new webinar [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The investment management industry’s regulatory environment, accounting systems, range of products and investor demands are spinning, it seems, in a never-ending cycle of changes. If your firm is to grow, you have to gear up accordingly.
Is your operatio
14. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Regulation impacts hedge funds in Gibraltar [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: "The biggest change we have seen is probably on the regulatory side of things," explained Andrew McGrath, Founder and CIO, Burren Capital Advisors, at the recent Opalesque Gibraltar Roundtable. Delegates each noted the impact the bevy of new financial regulation
13. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Why some hedge fund managers decide to set up in Gibraltar [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: During Opalesque’s recent Gibraltar Roundtable, two hedge fund managers talked about the reasons they chose Gibraltar as their prime location.
Gibraltar is a British Overseas
12. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque TV: Europe is a logical place for both US and Europe-based activists [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The consensus on shareholder activism in 2013 and 2014 has been that it would increase a great deal, and that it would spread from the US to Europe and other regions. A French asset manager confirms the veracity of this forecast.
Anne-Sophie d’Andlau is
11. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Reverse solicitation is like a unicorn, very pretty but not really existing [more]
Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: Reverse solicitation is like a unicorn that is a very pretty concept but
not really existing in reality, said Joey Garcia, a funds partner at Isolas, the
oldest law firm in Gibraltar.
10. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundup: Hedge funds outpaced by “alternative beta”, FX: hedge fund news, week 46 [more]
In the week ending 07 November, 2014, hedge funds posted declines for October with the HFRX Absolute Return Index losing -0.35% (-0.15% YTD);
The Parker FX Index was up +2.49% for September (+2.64% YTD);
The Credit Suisse Liquid Alternative Beta Index gained 0.62% in October (+2.45% Y
06. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Old Park’s Maestro CTA up +20.48% YTD [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: CTAs have been doing well in the last few months. But not as well as Old Park’s.
The Maestro strategy is up +20.48% YTD after returning 1.6% in October 2014 just as the Barclay CTA Index was up 0.14%
06. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Greenlight's Q3 letter - "a frustrating quarter" [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York for New Managers: David Einhorn has had "a frustrating quarter" according to an investor letter reviewed by Opalesque. The firm's only breakout winner was its position in Apple.
05. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: New Balliol Credit Alpha Fund finds sweet spot in European credit [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva for New Managers:
In 2013, Deutsche Bank consolidated its investment-grade debt and asset-backed securities trading units in London to cut costs and riskier holdings. Deutsche’
04. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: V2 launches hedged equity mutual fund [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: V2 Capital has launched a new hedged equity vehicle. The V2 Hedged Equity Fund is an open-ended single manager mutual fund utilizing the hedged equity strategy the firm was previously using in its private offering. The fund is launching with $240 million of asse
03. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Fixed income picks up in Russia [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: Despite negative returns for many of Russia's hedge funds in recent years, participants at the Opalesque Russia Roundtable note that fixed income investing is starting to pick u
03. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundup: Strong performance pushed hedge fund bonus up: hedge fund news, week 45 [more]
In the week ending 31 October, 2014, strong performances in the financial management sector has pushed up incentive compensation in the asset mana
31. Oct. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Mariner’s new healthcare mandate applies strategic approach across pharmaceutical and biotech sectors [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva for New Managers: A team of two was hired in February this year t
30. Oct. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: European Managed Futures UCITS with excellent legal set up looking for cooperation [more]
Matthias Knab, Opalesque: Opalesque has learned about an EU domiciled Managed Futures UCITS (launched in March 2012) that has to liquidate very soon due to insufficient size. However, according to the promoter, the legal structure of this UCITS is "excellent". The UCITS invests in certi
30. Oct. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: The investor landscape in Russia is harsh nowadays [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The investor landscape in Russia is tough this year, what with falling stock market, currency, oil prices and sanctions. Both local and foreign investors have been jumpy. However, this is a time of opportunity for contrarian investors.
Local investors a
30. Oct. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Ecce Vinum launches fine wine fund with 15% target return [more]
Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia for New Managers: A group of wine experts and passionates has launched Ecce Vinum, a fund dedicated to investing in fine win