Previously published Opalesque Exclusives
28. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Dozens of new funds are being set up in the Gulf Region [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: In the Gulf Region, dozens of new funds are being set up — while about 50% of them will be real estate-focused, the other 50% represent a mixture of private equity, venture capital, mezzanine, credit and hedge funds that engage in more strategies than ever, i
28. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Israeli startup to launch long/short equity fund specialising in covered-call strategy [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva for New Managers: An Israeli startup is about to launch a long/short equity fund that specialises in covered calls and in income, and that invests in large cap US blue-chip stock
27. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: The unintended consequences of Basel III [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: Bijesh Amin, co-founder and managing director of Indus Valley Partners (IVP), a technology solutions and services firm focused on the alternative asset management industry, has recently observed
27. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Islamic Finance races ahead with Sukuk, the first managed account platform, and foreign demand [more]
Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: A number of developments took place within Islamic finance in the past
years, including the launch of a Islamic managed account platform and
the further growth of the sukuk space that saw this instrument evolve
from being a type of an ABS security that was rarely
26. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: As CTAs recover, Typhon Access grows [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: The past few years have been challenging for CTAs. Record outflows from CTAs have dominated much of the reporting on the space, but in recent weeks investors have started to take a second look. "For awhile there, the phone wasn't ringing but we're seein
26. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Japan offers opportunities for hedge fund investors [more]
Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: Japan offers opportunities for hedge fund investors as Tokyo’s economy remains strong, said Takehiko Nakao, president of the Asian Development Bank during a press briefing with members of the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines (FOCAP) in Manila.
26. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Oil prices may affect Gulf Region, but not straight away [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The markets of the Gulf stand to do well with a strong dollar peg and ongoing significant government spending and investment domestically. There has been legitimate concern recently about the rapid drop in oil prices. However, given a decade of accumulated re
25. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Europe’s quantitative easing attracts Gulf investors [more]
Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: The recent events in Europe, especially the planned quantitative easing, has made the region attractive to Gulf-based investors said Ataf Ahmed of Islamic investment group QIn
24. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Risk management emerges as a competitive focus area for hedge funds [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: Risk management has always been a core component of any trading strategy, as well as a critical part of business management. However, as macreconomic weakness persists, and alpha becomes increasingly hard to generate, risk management as emerged as a more promin
24. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundup: Lesser known hedge funds among top performers in 2014: hedge fund news, week 48 [more]
In the week ending 21 November, 2014, Lyxor AM said hedge funds are still recovering but registered a modest 0.1% gains in performance since mid-October; lesser
20. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Many institutional allocators feel alternatives are best route to alpha - despite CalPERS [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The news in September that the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) had decided to let go of its hedge fund holdings (worth $4bn) created ripples through the asset management industry at large.
As CalPERS is an influential voice a
19. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque TV: ERAAM: "We believe more in individuals than in company or structure" [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva for New Managers: Two fund of fund of hedge funds managers talk about their investments in emerging managers.
Cyril Julliard and Olivier Kintgen, the two founders of ERAAM,
18. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Gray Ghost Ventures aims to make impact investing commercially viable [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: At a time when investing in emerging markets may be falling out of fashion among some investors, Gray Ghost Ventures is confident that great opportunity exists in the emerging markets. The firm may have a unique view into this space as one of the first private
17. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundup: Hedge funds expected to plunge into China mainland shares as Hong Kong-Shanghai link debuts on Monday: hedge fund news, week 47 [more]
In the week ending 17 November, 2014, in Asia, the HK$694bn Shanghai Hong Kong Stock Connect scheme to directly link the two cities’ share markets will start operations on November 17; hedge funds are expected to plunge into mainland shares once the Hong Kong-Shanghai equity link debuts; bill
14. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Exclusive: Advent makes the case for Geneva in a new webinar [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The investment management industry’s regulatory environment, accounting systems, range of products and investor demands are spinning, it seems, in a never-ending cycle of changes. If your firm is to grow, you have to gear up accordingly.
Is your operatio
14. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Regulation impacts hedge funds in Gibraltar [more]
Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York: "The biggest change we have seen is probably on the regulatory side of things," explained Andrew McGrath, Founder and CIO, Burren Capital Advisors, at the recent Opalesque Gibraltar Roundtable. Delegates each noted the impact the bevy of new financial regulation
13. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Why some hedge fund managers decide to set up in Gibraltar [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: During Opalesque’s recent Gibraltar Roundtable, two hedge fund managers talked about the reasons they chose Gibraltar as their prime location.
Gibraltar is a British Overseas
12. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque TV: Europe is a logical place for both US and Europe-based activists [more]
Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: The consensus on shareholder activism in 2013 and 2014 has been that it would increase a great deal, and that it would spread from the US to Europe and other regions. A French asset manager confirms the veracity of this forecast.
Anne-Sophie d’Andlau is
11. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundtable: Reverse solicitation is like a unicorn, very pretty but not really existing [more]
Komfie Manalo, Opalesque Asia: Reverse solicitation is like a unicorn that is a very pretty concept but
not really existing in reality, said Joey Garcia, a funds partner at Isolas, the
oldest law firm in Gibraltar.
10. Nov. 2014 | Opalesque Roundup: Hedge funds outpaced by “alternative beta”, FX: hedge fund news, week 46 [more]
In the week ending 07 November, 2014, hedge funds posted declines for October with the HFRX Absolute Return Index losing -0.35% (-0.15% YTD);
The Parker FX Index was up +2.49% for September (+2.64% YTD);
The Credit Suisse Liquid Alternative Beta Index gained 0.62% in October (+2.45% Y