Latest Other Voices
25. Jan. 2010 | Other Voices: Obama Bank’s plan revives Glass Steagall Act, may improve capital raising environment for hedge funds [more]
This article was written by Bryan Goh, First Avenue Partners LLP, London :
It sounds like a plan. President Obama in an effort to address what is widely believed to be a flawed banking model has decided to ressurrect the Glass Steagall Act 1933.
Glass Steagall 1932 had already been effect
08. Dec. 2009 | Other Voices: Liquidity mechanics of funds have been stress-tested, more managers are reviewing suspension provisions to allow future flexibility - Ogier [more]
This article was written by Nadia Menezes, Senior Associate at law firm Ogier.
The market turbulence over the last twelve months has seen fund structures and mechanics being strenuously tested under extreme conditions. Whilst the
12. Nov. 2009 | Other Voices: CTAs: Where do we go from here? [more]
This commentary was written by Maximilian Thiel, senior manager at AIMhedge Management Ltd, a Liechstenstein and Caymans-based alternative management firm.
The firm's flagship, AIMhedge Global Diversified Fund Ltd, is a systematic hedge fund focused on delivering absolute returns by investin
05. Oct. 2009 | Other Voices: EU Directive refugees - Bright lights of Singapore beckon [more]
This article was written by Christopher P. Wells and Linda L. Ng. – Christopher P. Wells is a partner and Linda L. Ng is a counsel with White & Case LLP’s Tokyo and Hong Kong/Singapore offices, respectively.
The bright lights and relaxed lifestyle of Singapore beckon to EU fund managers who a
01. Oct. 2009 | Other Voices: Hedge funds: Consideration of fraud risks in an economic crisis [more]
The following article was authored by Adam Weisman, Partner, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP and Tania Lynn, Senior Manager, Deloitte & Touche LLP.
Fraud has always represented a dangerous and perhaps dangerou
15. Sep. 2009 | Other Voices: The long arm of the law - Implications of an SEC examination to the offshore hedge fund [more]
The authors of this article are Kevin Phillip and Wade Kenny, both managers at dms Management Ltd. (dms), the largest management firm in the Cayman Islands. dms focuses on serving the hedge fund industry.
It has long been a fact of life for registered investment advisers preparing for, and su
12. Aug. 2009 | Other Voices: Modified Volatility - 1937 paper found relevant to today's risk management challenges [more]
By Peter Urbani, CIO, Infiniti Capital:
An obscure tract by a University of Adelaide Statistics Professor, Edmund Cornish is today among the leading candidates for improving risk management.
The 1937 paper by Edmund Alfred Cornish (1909 - 1973) and Sir Ronald Fisher* provides the basis
06. Aug. 2009 | Other Voices: Debate on hedge fund fees masks the larger issue - not all hedge funds are invested in 'hedge fund strategies'
The following was written by Rene Levesque (CFA), founder of www.mountjoycapital.com: There is nothing wrong with the hedge fund fees
Indeed, there is nothing wrong with the prevailing hedge fund fee structures. The current debate on
30. Jul. 2009 | Other Voices: A return to boom and bust [more]
This article was written by Bryan Goh, First Avenue Partners LLP, London: Does the printing of money by central banks inevitably lead to inflation? Is there good inflation and bad inflation?
Quantitative easing is now underway in most developed cou
17. Jul. 2009 | Other Voices: The future of hedge fund regulation: Q&A with Ezra Zask and Gaurav Jetley of Analysis Group [more]
The Obama administration’s proposal for a financial regulatory overhaul continues to send shockwaves through the financial services sector. The virtually unregulated hedge fund and alternative investment industry is likely to receive heightened government oversight under any reform efforts. As thi
15. Jul. 2009 | Other Voices: Ogier: New regulations will require multi-domiciled managers [more]
Offshore legal and fiduciary services firm Ogier says a likely consequence of the plethora of tax regulatory initiatives currently being developed by the G-20, OECD, US, EU and UK, will be that investment managers will need to establish additional management and administration operations in the juri
30. Jun. 2009 | Other Voices: Three new strategies in hedge fund investor relations; investors demand a relationship – not a transaction [more]
The following is an edited transcript of a presentation Thomas Walek, President of a New York-based public relations agency Walek & Associates, gave recently in Hong Kong to a group of hedge fund managers and investor relations executives:
Our topic is "Hedge Fund Investor Relations: Ne
24. Jun. 2009 | Other Voices: As SEC`s comment period on short selling comes to an end, re-regulation may be necessary but over regulation is irresponsible [more]
The following piece was authored by Dick Del Bello, a senior partner at Conifer Securities, LLC, a U.S.-based prime brokerage and provider of comprehensive business and operations solutions to hedge funds and investment managers.
18. Jun. 2009 | Other Voices: New, massive, burdensome regulation is on the way, and the battle for experienced first rate compliance talent has started...or has it? [more]
The article was written by David Claypoole, principal of Parks Legal Placement in Summit, NJ.
As an executive recruiter focused narrowly on the legal and compliance needs of alternative asset managers, I expected to see an uptick in the dema
09. Jun. 2009 | Other Voices - Strategic oil risks in past and current history, David K Lifschultz, CEO of Genoil, Inc. [more]
The French have an expression: "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose" (The more it changes, the more it remains the same).
On June 22, 1941 - Napoleon crossed the Niemen June 22,1812 - three German armies crossed over into Russia. The Northern Group was commanded by Field-Marshall von L
01. Jun. 2009 | Other Voices: Convertible bond arbitrage, 2009 and beyond [more]
This article was written by Bryan Goh, First Avenue Partners LLP, London:
Convertible arbitrage has been one of the best performing hedge fund strategies year to date in 2009, up
22. May. 2009 | Other Voices: Hedge fund investors gluttons for punishment? A reply to The Economist [more]
This article was written by Bryan Goh, First Avenue Partners LLP, London, in reference to the recent Economist.com article 'Gluttons for punishment? Investors
21. May. 2009 | Other Voices: Hedge funds missed the rally - Has someone missed the point? [more]
This article was written by Bryan Goh, First Avenue Partners LLP, London, in reference to yesterday’s article ‘Hedge funds under fire for not spotting market rally’ (
13. May. 2009 | Other Voices: Hedge fund incubation and seeding. A perspective for 2009 [more]
This article was authored by Bryan Goh, First Avenue Partners LLP, London.
In the interest of full disclosure, First Avenue Partners of which I am a partner, runs a hedge fund seeding and incubation business. I generally don't talk my own book and I
12. May. 2009 | Other Voices: The impact of the new Bermuda anti-money laundering regime on investment fund operators and administrators [more]
This article was authored by international law firm Conyers Dill & Pearman:
Two new pieces of legislation have been introduced in Bermuda, effective January 1, 2009.
The Proceeds of Crime Regulations (Supervision and Enforcement) Act 2008 (the "Supervision
Act") and the Proceeds