Latest Other Voices
04. Aug. 2011 | Other Voices: Not your father’s fund of hedge funds [more]
By Michael Bernstein, CFA, CAIA
If you ask ten funds of hedge fund (“FOHF”) managers to state whether they generate more of their returns from manager selection or strategy allocation, a couple of things will happen. The first is that all 10 will tell you it is very difficult to quantify how m
22. Jul. 2011 | Other Voices: Uncovering hidden insights from your VAR engine data [more]
The following post was written by John Doran, Principal, SunGard Global Services’ Energy Practice.
Value at Risk (VaR) is a popular metric used in risk management. While it ga
12. Jul. 2011 | Other Voices: Angel or devil: Seeding arrangements for emerging fund managers [more]
The following article was written by Jeffrey E. Kopiwoda of Funkhouser Vegosen Liebman & Dunn Ltd., email: JKopiwoda@fvldlaw.com
Since 2008, increases in investor trepidation and regulatory action have resulted in greater barriers to entry for emerging fund managers. Simultaneously, the number
04. Jul. 2011 | Other Voices: Stop demonizing foreign investors in agriculture, they're not grabbing land [more]
Author: Calestous Juma, Professor of the Practice of International Development; Director, Science, Technology, and Globalization Project; Principal Investigator, Agricultural Innovation in Africa
The rising food prices are stimulating interest in investing in African agriculture. But these inves
27. Jun. 2011 | Other Voices: Sino Forest and lack of clarity in China equities - the importance of ESG analysis [more]
The following article was written by Michael D. Underhill, Chief Investment Officer at Capital Innovations LLC.
As a veteran of the institutional investment management industry for over two decades, I have seen a series of booms and bust
12. May. 2011 | Other Voices: State-owned enterprises - an economic tool for Europe [more]
This column was authored by Dag Detter an independent advisor and state asset specialist. He is the former President of the Swedish Government Holding Company Stattum and the Government Director of State-Owned Enterprises.
While the World grapples with a great experiment to establish whethe
22. Dec. 2010 | Other Voices: The new AIFM directive from a Swiss perspective [more]
The following is an analysis from the latest hedgegate FoHF Newsletter:
From a Swiss perspective, the directive contains clear improvements compared to the first draft. The phased introduction of "third-c
03. Nov. 2010 | Other Voices: The Brazil election - Implications of Dilma Rousseff’s victory [more]
The following is a research note from Zurich-based asset management firm Arsago, looking at the implications of Dilma Rousseff’s victory in the Brazilian Presidential election.
We said in the lead-up to the final round of
11. Oct. 2010 | Other Voices – Making sense of insensibility [more]
This is an executive summary of a paper authored last year by Thomas Kuntz, CEO of New Jersey-based firm called Polymetis LLC, which offers due diligence, investment research, strategic consulting, and advisory s
17. Sep. 2010 | Other Voices: Institutionalizing institutional marketing – what managers should concentrate on for the next stage of marketing [more]
The following piece was authored by Charles E. F. Millard, President of Cardinal Advisors, LLC, based in New York City. Cardinal provides consulting in various areas of financial services, with a particular emphasis on interacting with pensions, i
02. Sep. 2010 | Other Voices - Should indemnity provisions extend to auditors? [more]
This article was authored by Alric Lindsay, a Cayman-based independent director, who prior to his experience working as an investment funds attorney for two global law firms, was a senior compliance analyst with the Cayman Islands Monetary Author
24. Aug. 2010 | Other Voices - The grass isn't always Greener in the Emerald Isle: Why some funds now relocate to Cayman again [more]
This article was authored by Niaz Khan, Associate Director of dms Management Ltd.:
Fundamental to my work as an Associate Director at dms Management Ltd. is travelling to major financial centres to meet with investment managers of hedge fund c
16. Aug. 2010 | Other Voices - Ten key considerations for SEC registration [more]
This article was authored by William Mulligan, CEO of HedgeOp Compliance, LLC:
With the signing of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street and Consumer Protection Act, fund advisors need to determine not only IF they are required to register but WHEN they are
26. Jul. 2010 | Other Voices: ETF ownership limits - Trap for the unwary hedge fund [more]
This article was authored by Jay B. Gould, Ildiko Duckor, Clint A. Keller and Michael G. Wu of international law firm Pillsbury:
In recent years, many hedge funds have significantly increased their holdings in exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Historically, hedge funds primarily acquired short posit
15. Jul. 2010 | Other Voices: The Volcker Rule's ban on proprietary trading - a practical approach to implementation [more]
This article was authored by U.S.-based research and consulting house Woodbine Associates.
The final form of the Dodd Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act is essentially complete and awaiting Senate confirmation; now, at
01. Jul. 2010 | Other Voices: How new rules clarification will affect Hong Kong-based advisors of Cayman funds [more]
This article was written by David Lyons of Caymans and Ireland-based hedge fund service provider dms Management, and by Dawn Cummings of Offshore Business Solutions, also located in the Ca
23. Jun. 2010 | Other Voices: Key changes for managers and advisers of BVI funds took effect May 17th - Securities and Investment Business Act 2010 [more]
This article was written by Nadia Menezes and Marie-Claire Fudge of Ogier to highlight the principal changes applicable to investment funds and their managers or advisers that are introduced under the Securities and Investment Business Act 2010 (SIBA), and illustrate how these changes will affect in
07. Jun. 2010 | Other Voices: A recap on some audit issues, and a worrying trend [more]
This article was authored by Castle Hall Alternative, a provider of operational due diligence based in Canada.
Looking back over our posts over the past year or so, we've commented on a number of issues which impac
03. Jun. 2010 | Other Voices: Misuse and use of hedge fund indices [more]
Article authored by François Duc, Risk Advisory, UBP Alternative Investments.
In contrast to the regulated world of traditional investments, the hedge-fund universe cannot be fully encompassed. Hedge funds are private structures, devoid of any regulatory obligations to d
01. Jun. 2010 | Other Voices: Bullion - barbarous relic, bubble or boom [more]
Article authored by Toby Birch, of Guernsey Gold Limited. Toby Birch is an international fund manager dealing in precious metals, mining stocks and natural resources, and the author of The Final Crash: Addictive Debt and the Deformation of the World Economy, published in April 2007, just mont