Latest Other Voices
28. Oct. 2013 | Other Voices: Roadmap to absolute returns, part 1 [more]
By: Rene Levesque, Founder, Mountjoy Capital
"Past Performance Is No Guarantee Of Future Results" The studies are well documented on the fact that manager selection based on trailing performance metrics is a losing proposi
23. Oct. 2013 | Other Voices: No, Bloomberg, the managed futures industry is not a scam [more]
This piece was contributed by Jeff Malec CAIA, CEO, Founding Partner, Attain Capital Management.
12. Sep. 2013 | Other Voices: The curious case of Asian volatility [more]
This piece was contributed by David Shin, Associate Director, PAAMCO Singapore
The volatility of
in Asian markets
than in other
05. Sep. 2013 | Other Voices: Warren Buffet - Dump your equities and keep the dividends [more]
This open letter to Warren Buffet is from Jad Comair, Founder and CIO
Melanion Capital, Paris.
In finance, a dividend future is an Exchange-traded derivative contract that allows investors to take positions on future dividend payme
09. Aug. 2013 | Other Voices: JOBS Act: What if a hedge fund manager is initially enamored of the new rules and starts to advertise, but later changes his mind? [more]
This article was authored by Jay B. Gould, San Francisco-based lawyer at Pillsbury, a global law firm, and posted on Pillsbury’s
25. Jul. 2013 | Other Voices: A discussion of risk, intelligence and trading [more]
This article was authored by Alistair Evans of Qbasis Invest, a CTA investment firm based in Austria, in which he interviews Dr Dylan Evans on the subject of risk intelligence. (Note: this is an extract of the first part; you can
17. Jul. 2013 | Other Voices: Alternative entrepreneurs are generating alpha [more]
This article was authored by Andrew Cohan, founding member and portfolio manager at Macoma Capital Group, an opportunistic direct investing/special opportunities partnership specifically tailored for large family offices.
In today’s ch
10. Jul. 2013 | Other Voices: JOBS Act will prompt hedge funds to re-evaluate their marketing strategy [more]
This article was authored by Donald A. Steinbrugge, CFA, Managing Member at Agecroft Partners, LLC, a third party marketer based in Richmond, VA.
The hedge fund industry is the most competitive industry in the world... Wha
25. Jun. 2013 | Other Voices: Producing energy, the closest thing to a perfect asset [more]
This article was authored by Paul Thomas, a Certified Professional Geologist. He is currently working on the publication of "Twenty Five Ways to Make Money In the Oil and Gas Business" due out in 2013.
My father was a very educated man. He was a master investor: studious, intelligent,
14. Jun. 2013 | Other Voices: FCA’s PS13/3: Retail investors unwelcome in Unregulated Collective Investment Schemes [more]
This piece was contributed by Oliver Lodge of UK based Owl Regulatory Consulting.
Whatever our hazy recollections of the good old days, there never was a time when regulators were relaxed about the promotion of unregulated collective inve
24. May. 2013 | Other Voices: What the doctor ordered [more]
By: Andre Boreas, Director-Alternative Investments, Intralinks
I had the opportunity to attend a real estate conference a few weeks ago where the topic of transparency was a hot button issue. More information, quicker turnaround times and deeper due diligence was the mantra among the general par
17. May. 2013 | Other Voices: Three 'game changers’ have limited contagion in European markets [more]
This piece was authored by Melanie Rijkenberg, CFA, Associate Director, Pacific Alternative Asset Management Company Europe LLP.
Since the start of the year we have seen a clear de-correlation in global markets and most n
17. May. 2013 | Other Voices: Great rotation? What great rotation? [more]
In the article below, Alex McKnight, investment manager at GAM, an independent, active investment management firm, comments on why convertibles are catching investors’ eyes.
We believe the "great rotation" is ov
02. May. 2013 | Other Voices: The changing role of hedge funds in pension plan portfolios [more]
This article was authored by Shahid Ikram, CIO at Aviva Investors, a global asset manager that is part of Aviva, one of the world’s largest insurance companies, and appeared first in Swiss daily newspaper Le Temps on Monday.
02. May. 2013 | Other Voices: How the JOBS ACT will benefit hedge fund investors [more]
This article was authored by Donald A. Steinbrugge, Managing Member of Agecroft Partners LLC, a third-party marketer based in Richmond, VA, U.S.
It has been recently covered in the media that Mary Jo White, who became SEC chair
05. Apr. 2013 | Other Voices: Ikos's Elena Ambrosiadou asks: "Has anyone learnt anything from the recent Cyprus maelstrom, and will it make a difference?" [more]
This piece was provided by Elena Ambrosiadou, chief executive officer of Ikos Asset Management.
Cyprus is in the middle of a financial maelstrom - where did it come from and what needs to be done about it now? Cyprus is the third
27. Mar. 2013 | Other Voices: Chasing shadows: should hedge funds shadow administrators? [more]
This article was provided by Bijesh Amin, Co-Founder/Managing Director at Indus Valley Partners.
To shadow or not to shadow
At least that is the question facing many large hedge funds with assets well
above the magical $1bn mark.
The production of a portfolio NAV (Net Asset Value) is
08. Mar. 2013 | Other Voices: Demand for Change Post-Madoff - Due diligence in a changing economy [more]
This article was provided by Zabrina T Barile and Wendy Toribio-Torres of HedgeOp Compliance, an IMS Group Company (now Cordium).
The Madoff Investment Securities scandal in 2008 prompted signific
27. Feb. 2013 | Other Voices: Regulatory change causes increased demand for AML programs [more]
This article was provided by HedgeOp Compliance, an IMS Group Company (both are now Cordium).
Anti-money laundering (AML) procedures, already in existence, were further enhanced by the US Patriot A
21. Feb. 2013 | Other Voices: Regulatory cases - Accident analysis of three regulatory complaints [more]
This analysis was provided by Zurich-based due diligence service provider SwissAnalytics Ltd.
Regulatory Complaints are informative, but often too late
Regulatory complaints can usually only serve as an inspection after