Latest Other Voices
13. Mar. 2014 | Other Voices: Two unanswered questions about alternative betas [more]
By: Andrew Beer, Beachhead Capital Management
Alternative betas, or risk premia, are established investment strategies that are simple enough to automate with a computer but too complicated for most investors to implement directly. For instance, you can program a computer to buy "value" stocks a
11. Mar. 2014 | Other Voices: Fortress Europe? New UCITS V rules could be cumbersome for US fund managers [more]
By: Kaye Scholer Attorneys
The European Parliament and Council recently agreed on the substance of the new
UCITS V Directive, which will include safeguards to protect client assets in the event of a
depositary’s insolvency and also address remuneration practices that are thought to
03. Mar. 2014 | Other Voices: Not so easy to replicate activist hedge funds and achieve similar performance [more]
This article was authored by Alex Gavrish, founder and CEO of Etalon Investment Research, and author of "Wall Street Back To Basics."
With the amount of activist investments on the rise during the last few years, more and more media at
24. Feb. 2014 | Other Voices: The real impact of the JOBS Act [more]
This article was authored by Phil Niles Head of CET - Americas at Mitsubishi UFJ Fund Services.
Back in June 2012, I published a piece outlining
21. Feb. 2014 | Other Voices: CTA/CPO capital requirements; more harm than good? [more]
By: James Bibbings, President, Turnkey Trading Partners
In late January 2014 the National Futures Association ("NFA") announced to its membership they were:
"…reviewing the current regulatory structure applicable to Commodity Pool Operator ("CPO") and Commodity Trading Advisor ("CTA") operat
20. Jan. 2014 | Other Voices: A practitioner’s scorecard to hedge fund replication [more]
This article was authored by Andrew Beer, founder of Beachhead Capital Management LLC in New York. Below is the first part; you can download the full version of the article here.
31. Dec. 2013 | Other Voices: Cayman regulator agrees to database providing director transparency [more]
By: Kevin Ryan, HedgeDirector Ltd
The Cayman Islands financial regulator CIMA has revealed proposals to create a public database showing details of offshore directors’ workloads. This move follows a long campaign by investor pressure groups who have been lobbying CIMA to help them in their due d
07. Nov. 2013 | Other Voices: Why fee reduction is the purest form of alpha [more]
This article as authored by Andrew Beer, CEO of U.S.-based Beachhead Capital Management. You can access the full version by clicking on the link at the bottom.
In this note, we examine the relationship between the hedge fund
05. Nov. 2013 | Other Voices: Survey illustrates Big Data management challenges, firms appoint 'Chief Data Officers’ [more]
This article was authored by Alessandro Ferrari, who heads up global marketing outreach for RIMES, which serves the growing
29. Oct. 2013 | Other Voices: Roadmap to absolute returns, part 2 [more]
By: Rene Levesque, Founder, Mountjoy Capital
When asked about the behavioral and personality characteristics of the successful traders, Mr. Schwager, author of several books on Market Wizards, answers with the following: "People who are suc
28. Oct. 2013 | Other Voices: Roadmap to absolute returns, part 1 [more]
By: Rene Levesque, Founder, Mountjoy Capital
"Past Performance Is No Guarantee Of Future Results" The studies are well documented on the fact that manager selection based on trailing performance metrics is a losing proposi
23. Oct. 2013 | Other Voices: No, Bloomberg, the managed futures industry is not a scam [more]
This piece was contributed by Jeff Malec CAIA, CEO, Founding Partner, Attain Capital Management.
12. Sep. 2013 | Other Voices: The curious case of Asian volatility [more]
This piece was contributed by David Shin, Associate Director, PAAMCO Singapore
The volatility of
in Asian markets
than in other
05. Sep. 2013 | Other Voices: Warren Buffet - Dump your equities and keep the dividends [more]
This open letter to Warren Buffet is from Jad Comair, Founder and CIO
Melanion Capital, Paris.
In finance, a dividend future is an Exchange-traded derivative contract that allows investors to take positions on future dividend payme
09. Aug. 2013 | Other Voices: JOBS Act: What if a hedge fund manager is initially enamored of the new rules and starts to advertise, but later changes his mind? [more]
This article was authored by Jay B. Gould, San Francisco-based lawyer at Pillsbury, a global law firm, and posted on Pillsbury’s
25. Jul. 2013 | Other Voices: A discussion of risk, intelligence and trading [more]
This article was authored by Alistair Evans of Qbasis Invest, a CTA investment firm based in Austria, in which he interviews Dr Dylan Evans on the subject of risk intelligence. (Note: this is an extract of the first part; you can
17. Jul. 2013 | Other Voices: Alternative entrepreneurs are generating alpha [more]
This article was authored by Andrew Cohan, founding member and portfolio manager at Macoma Capital Group, an opportunistic direct investing/special opportunities partnership specifically tailored for large family offices.
In today’s ch
10. Jul. 2013 | Other Voices: JOBS Act will prompt hedge funds to re-evaluate their marketing strategy [more]
This article was authored by Donald A. Steinbrugge, CFA, Managing Member at Agecroft Partners, LLC, a third party marketer based in Richmond, VA.
The hedge fund industry is the most competitive industry in the world... Wha
25. Jun. 2013 | Other Voices: Producing energy, the closest thing to a perfect asset [more]
This article was authored by Paul Thomas, a Certified Professional Geologist. He is currently working on the publication of "Twenty Five Ways to Make Money In the Oil and Gas Business" due out in 2013.
My father was a very educated man. He was a master investor: studious, intelligent,
14. Jun. 2013 | Other Voices: FCA’s PS13/3: Retail investors unwelcome in Unregulated Collective Investment Schemes [more]
This piece was contributed by Oliver Lodge of UK based Owl Regulatory Consulting.
Whatever our hazy recollections of the good old days, there never was a time when regulators were relaxed about the promotion of unregulated collective inve