Latest Other Voices
08. May. 2015 | Other Voices: The value factor reconsidered [more]
This paper was authored by Andrew Beer, founder of Beachhead Capital Management LLC, New York.
"Of course it’s true until everyone knows it’s true."
Famous economist in response to publication of Stocks for the Lo
06. Apr. 2015 | Other Voices: Epsilon Theory: 'It’s not about the nail’ [more]
This article was authored by Ben Hunt of Salient Partners, L.P. as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice.
I spend a lot of my time speaking with investors and financial advisors of all stripes and sizes, and here’s what I’m hearing, loud and clear. There
02. Apr. 2015 | Other Voices: What is compression (and why should you care)? [more]
This article was authored by Stephen Loosley, Catalyst Development Ltd, a financial regulations and technology advisor in London.
Compression is a technique to reduce gross notional in your OTC book without materially affecting ri
02. Apr. 2015 | Other Voices: It's showtime for hedge funds: An open letter to TV execs [more]
This article was written by Meredith Jones, who has more than 16 years of experience as an internationally-recognized researcher, writer, speaker and expert in the alternative investment industry.
Dear Showtime Execs,
I read with great interest (and no small amount of trepidation) abo
31. Mar. 2015 | Other Voices: Transparency 2.0: How investors can realise direct financial benefits from position-level transparency today [more]
This article is written by Tyler Kim, the Chief Information Officer for MaplesFS, responsible for Information Technology and Data Management globally.
Institutional investors can realise direct financial benefits from position-level transparency – specifically through increasing the effi
25. Mar. 2015 | Other Voices: Does the hedge fund industry benefit society? [more]
This article was authored by Don Steinbrugge, Chairman of Agecroft Partners, a US-based global consulting and third party marketing firm for hedge funds.
It is no secret that the hedge fund industry is viewed negatively by a la
19. Mar. 2015 | Other Voices: The role of diversification in CTA portfolios [more]
2014 brought a resurgence of managed futures strategies, or CTAs, which performed very well as a whole, outperforming all other hedge fund strategies. However, a closer look reveals that there was a wide range of performance, or return dispersion, across managers.
The bottom line? Not all CTAs
13. Mar. 2015 | Other Voices: The macroeconomic drivers of hedge fund strategy returns [more]
This article was authored by Koray Yesildag, Asset Allocation Specialist in the London Global Asset Allocation Team of Aon Hewitt.
Hedge funds have been a hot topic for institutional investors over the past few years, with some
11. Mar. 2015 | Other Voices: Why constraints on hedge funds matter [more]
This paper was authored by Andrew Beer, founder of Beachhead Capital Management LLC, New York. You can
download the full white paper here
03. Mar. 2015 | Other Voices: New dawn for Chinese equities as options trading starts [more]
Rollout of Options in China
By: SGX Market Updates
China financial reforms could best be summed up in the late leader Deng Xiaoping’s words, "crossing a river by feeling the stones".
On 9 February, Shanghai Stock Exchange launched China’s first financial options, the SSE50 ETF opti
12. Feb. 2015 | Other Voices: The danger of indices [more]
This article was authored by Andrew Beer, founder of Beachhead Capital Management LLC in New York. You can
download the full version here.
11. Feb. 2015 | Other Voices: Red alert - be aware of a cornered Putin [more]
By: David Murrin, Spartent Global Solutions
We have already expressed our concern over Western policies in Ukraine that have pushed Russia away from the West into the hands of China, the negative consequences of which are expected to unfold with the next decade.
However, since then, the fal
04. Feb. 2015 | Other Voices: 5 benefits of a mobile fund manager [more]
By: Branden Jones, Liquid Holdings
The digital revolution is transforming today’s fund manager. The days of being tied down to your desk to manage investments and handle investor inquiries are disappearing. In its place is a new mobile, connected, empowered fund manager that can carry the most i
28. Jan. 2015 | Other Voices: Why you should not follow Paul Singer on Informatica investment [more]
This article was authored by Alex Gavrish, founder and CEO of Etalon Investment Research, and author of "Wall Street Back To Basics."
Elliott Associate discloses Informatica stake
On January 26th, 2014, an activist hedge fu
05. Dec. 2014 | Other Voices: The growing problem with performance fees [more]
This white paper was authored by FundCalcs, an independent software provider based in Dublin, and Global Perspectives, an Irish consulting and research firm. It examines the trends si
04. Dec. 2014 | Other Voices: The evolving role of portfolio management, key trends and technology solutions for alternatives [more]
This article was authored by AlternativeSoft, a provider in asset selection, portfolio construction and fund reporting software based in the UK and Switzerland, and Global Perspectiv
03. Dec. 2014 | Other Voices: Want to get a piece of the Swiss pension funds’ assets? [more]
This article was authored by Gabriel Kurland, managing director at Montfort Funds, a FINMA licensed representative for foreign funds in Switzerland.
Want to get your piece of the € 571 billion Swiss pension funds’ assets? Sho
02. Dec. 2014 | Other Voices: What Will happen to the Hedge Fund Industry if we Experience a 2008 Type Market Decline? [more]
Donald A. Steinbrugge, CFA – Managing Partner, Agecroft Partners
With interest rates and credit spreads near historic lows and equity valuation above historical averages, many people are concerned that the Federal Reserve, by artificially keeping rates low, has created a 2007 type asset bubble i
27. Nov. 2014 | Other Voices: Time diversification is a myth [more]
Research report by Alexander Ineichen of Ineichen Research & Management and Virtus Investment Partners. You can read the full report here.
Alternative investments are still not full
20. Nov. 2014 | Other Voices: The key to transforming the fund manager/prime broker relationship [more]
This paper was authored by Sudhanshu Bahadur, Valcony Sun, and Vishal Bakshi of Sapient Global Markets. You can down