Wed, Jan 18, 2017
A A A
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Industry Updates

Assets invested in Swiss funds rise to CHF615bn in September

Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Opalesque Industry Update - As of the end of September 2011, the total volume of assets in the investment funds covered by the statistics compiled by Swiss Fund Data AG and Lipper stood at CHF 614.7 billion, with Swiss funds for institutional investors accounting for some CHF 221.2 billion of this figure. The latter fund category has gained ground of late, and now makes up more than a third of the overall market. Swiss funds for qualified investors accounted for CHF 163 billion, while just under CHF 55 billion was invested in institutional classes of foreign funds authorized for sale in Switzerland. Institutional investors such as pension funds have to continually seek out investments and cannot simply hope for “better times”, and display lower redemptions than retail funds, if at all.

Unit redemptions rose month-on-month in September, driven by fears of a slowdown in the global economy as well as a deterioration in the EUR crisis. At CHF 4.7 billion, outflows hit their highest monthly total since October 2008. Nevertheless, measured in CHF the volume of assets rose by around CHF 3.6 billion, as the Swiss National Bank’s (SNB) intervention to effectively peg the CHF to the EUR led to an appreciation of all funds denominated in foreign currencies, in particular money market and bond funds. After all, of the total volume on the Swiss fund market, only 48% are denominated in CHF with the other 52% being in foreign currencies, the EUR alone accounting for 26% and the USD 22%.

The SNB’s intervention also meant that equity funds were spared more serious losses in CHF terms, this despite asset withdrawals in the region of CHF 2 billion. By way of comparison, the MSCI World TR Index lost 8.6% in USD terms in September but gained 3.0% in CHF.

Only a few fund categories – such as commodities and precious metals funds, Money Market CHF, and Bond Global Corporates – were able to attract modest amounts of new money. As a result of the slump in precious metals prices, the assets of other funds fell by around CHF 1.9 billion, excluding net asset flows. “This trend confirms the extent of the nervousness among retail investors. With the uncertainty on the markets having exacerbated further, their sense of helplessness increases – and they are apparently are seeking only the safest havens possible for their savings,” said Dr. Matthäus Den Otter, CEO of the Swiss Funds Association SFA. Corporate website: Source

- FG

What do you think?

   Use "anonymous" as my name    |   Alert me via email on new comments   |   
Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing

 



  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. Southpoint Capital gains 3.8% in Q3, bringing year-to-date returns to 5.2%[more]

    From Valuewalk.com: Southpoint Capital Advisors, the $3 billion New York hedge fund founded by former employees of David Einhorn’s Greenlight Capital, added 3.8% net during the third quarter of 2016, bringing year-to-date returns to 5.2% and cumulative returns since inception (July 2004) of 237.4% a

  2. The Big Picture: The case for emerging market debt in 2017[more]

    Benedicte Gravrand, Opalesque Geneva: Emerging market (EM) assets outperformed in 2016 mainly because of stronger fundamentals and an improving international environment, with GDP picking up speed, leading to positive earnings revisions for the first time in five years,

  3. Short Selling - Long-short hedge funds are ditching the shorts to focus on longs[more]

    From Bloomberg.com: What happens when you take the "short" out of a long-short trading strategy? Some hedge funds are about to find out. Equity long-short fund managers, the biggest category in hedge funds, hold the fewest bearish stock bets on record, data compiled by Credit Suisse Group AG s

  4. SWFs - China sovereign wealth fund CIC plans more U.S. investments[more]

    From Reuters.com: China Investment Corporation (CIC), the country's sovereign wealth fund, is looking to raise alternative investments in the United States due to low returns in public markets, its chairman said on Monday. CIC will boost its investments in private equity and hedge funds as wel

  5. Some hedge funds strong start in 2017 nice contrast to 2016[more]

    With the 2016 HSBC Hedge Weekly performance rankings in the books - a year in which the same leader-board entries pretty much dominated unchallenged throughout the year - comes a new leader board that is a hard-scrabble mix of hedge fund styles and categories. What is clear after but a few short wee