Wed, Jun 3, 2020
A A A
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Alternative Market Briefing

Opalesque Roundup: Meet the 5 hedge fund managers who took home more than $1n last year: hedge fund news, week 07

Monday, February 17, 2020

In the week ending February 14th 2020, Bloomberg reported that the top 15 hedge fund managers collectively earned $12 billion in 2019, with the top five taking in more than $1 billion each: Chris Hohn, Jim Simons, Ken Griffin, Steve Cohen and Chase Coleman.

However, after a four-month winning run, the hedge fund industry had a downbeat start to the new year losing 0.18% in January, according to the Barclay Hedge Fund Index. By comparison, the S&P 500 Total Return Index was more or less break-even with a 0.04% loss in January. eVestment said hedge funds lost -0.22%, according to the just-released eVestment January 2020. Swedish energy-focused asset manager Proxy P Management AB has more than doubled its AUM in one year as a result of significant outperformance in its long/short renewable energy fund.

Further in performance news, Ken Griffin's $30 billion Citadel extended its lead over multistrategy rivals, as its flagship hedge funds jumped 3.4% last month; Light Street Capital's long-short fund Halogen fund gained 7.6 percent last month, recovering from a 5 percent loss in the final three months, and Je......................

To view our full article Click here

Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing

 



  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. PE/VC: How Covid-19 could reshape private equity fundraising, The private equity bet that coronavirus cut short[more]

    How Covid-19 could reshape private equity fundraising From Asian Investor: The pandemic looks may have led to greater use of remote capital-raising but might it also encourage investors to establish more overseas offices? The coronavirus outbreak has inevitably hit the amount of mo

  2. Investing: Millennium hedge fund ups bet against Bank of Ireland, Value rotation was the last thing big funds thought would happen, Al Gore's firm sold Amazon and Microsoft stock. Here's what it bought.[more]

    Millennium hedge fund ups bet against Bank of Ireland From Independent: US hedge fund Millennium International Management has raised its bet against Bank of Ireland's shares. It comes as Davy says 2020 will be a write-off for banks, with losses across Irish lenders of €4bn. M

  3. PE/VC: Private equity in the Covid-19 crisis, Carlyle's Africa dealmakers leave to start their own buyout firm, UK asset managers plan shift to off-market strategies including private equity[more]

    Private equity in the Covid-19 crisis From Morning Star: Private equity investment trusts invest in unquoted companies not yet listed on the stock market. How have they fared in the sell-off? Investment trusts have been caught up in the market turmoil of recent months and private equit

  4. New Launches: Apeira Capital seeks $200m for hedge fund-like bets, PIMCO filing reveals ESG fund launch could be ahead, BEA Systems co-founder launches venture fund, Salesforce Ventures launches $125m Europe Trailblazer Fund, The D. E. Shaw group closes first onshore China investment fund, Legg Mason and ClearBridge launch non-transparent ETF, Hong Kong-based asset manager MaiCapital launches actively managed bitcoin hedge fund[more]

    Apeira Capital seeks $200m for hedge fund-like bets From Bloomberg: Natalie Hwang, the former head of Simon Property Group Inc.'s venture capital arm, has launched a new firm and is seeking $200 million for a debut fund. Hwang has been discussing the vehicle with prospective investors, ac

  5. New Launches: Hedge fund Angelo Gordon raising $1.5bn for distressed energy debt, Amundi unveils eight new funds as part of ESG ETF range push, Mezzanine Management gears up for direct lending fund[more]

    Hedge fund Angelo Gordon raising $1.5bn for distressed energy debt From Reuters: Hedge fund Angelo Gordon & Co aims to raise as much as $1.5 billion to buy the debt of distressed oil and gas companies, according to a person familiar with the matter and an investor presentation viewed by R