Tue, Jul 25, 2017
A A A
Welcome Guest
Free Trial RSS
Get FREE trial access to our award winning publications
Alternative Market Briefing

Standard Life and Aberdeen agree to tie-up

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Bailey McCann, Opalesque New York:

As pressures on active managers mount, Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments have announced a merger of equals. The two companies will consolidate similar funds as part of the process and are expected to use the deal to elevate the strengths of both investment firms into a single, better performing entity.

According to a joint statement from both firms, the new combined entity will be headquartered in Scotland and will retain a primary focus on active management. If the merger is approved, the combined entity will be worth approximately GBP11 billion.

Standard Life shareholders will own approximately 60 percent of the combined entity with Aberdeen shareholders owning the remaining 40 percent.

"The strategic fit is compelling and creates a business with minimal client overlap and which is diversified by revenues, asset class and distribution channel. The combination will result in a material enhancement to earnings and this, coupled with a strong balance sheet, will facilitate significant investment in the business to support growth, innovation and a progressive dividend policy," Aberdeen's chairman, Simon Troughton said in a statement on the transaction.

Aberdeen and Standard Life are also making an effort to retain several top executives. Sir Gerry Grimstone, the current chairman of Standard Life will become chairman of the board of the combined group with Simon Troughton, Chairman of Aberdeen, beco......................

To view our full article Click here

Today's Exclusives Today's Other Voices More Exclusives
Previous Opalesque Exclusives                                  
More Other Voices
Previous Other Voices                                               
Access Alternative Market Briefing

 



  • Top Forwarded
  • Top Tracked
  • Top Searched
  1. Launches - Crypto boom: 15 new hedge funds want in on 84,000% returns, Crypto madness is striking VCs as Union Square analyst leaves to start new fund[more]

    Crypto boom: 15 new hedge funds want in on 84,000% returns From Forbes.com: With 43 projects raising $1.2 billion in initial coin offerings since May 1, according to Nick Tomaino's The Control, and with stratospheric returns for so many ICOs -- 82,000% for Ethereum, 56,000% for IOTA, 44,

  2. FinTech - The machines are coming... Elon Musk's grim warning, Tezos' $232 million ICO may just be the beginning, A gentle introduction to Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), Billion dollar tokens, ICOS & crazy market swings WTF is going on!?, How AI is changing the way we invest, How the tech revolution is bringing flip-flops and beanbags to Wall Street, A 'machine-learning' approach to venture capital[more]

    The machines are coming... Elon Musk's grim warning From Tenplay.com.au: Tesla chief Elon Musk has called on US Governors to take 'decisive' action to curtail "the greatest risk we face as a civilization": Artificial Intelligence, or AI. Speaking at a meeting of the National Governor Ass

  3. News Briefs – Sears inks $200 million credit line from CEO Eddie Lampert's hedge fund, shares jump 9%, Rwanda: Global hedge fund to increase investments[more]

    Sears inks $200 million credit line from CEO Eddie Lampert's hedge fund, shares jump 9% Sears Holdings has landed a fresh line of credit, valued at $200 million, from its CEO Eddie Lampert's hedge fund, the retailer said Monday. Sears' stock climbed about 9 percent higher Monda

  4. Despite current limits, robo-advisors will be preferred investment solution for retail, gain importance for affluent and high net worth[more]

    Matthias Knab, Opalesque: Flynt, a Swiss FinTech focusing on proprietary technology platform for private and institutional clients, has published a brief paper on "Investing in the world of robo-advice and passive instruments". As investors will become more reluctant to pay for investment advi

  5. Investing - Hedge fund CQS favors structured credit, Direct lending funds' fading all-weather appeal, Funds hunt for cracks in most-prized US shopping malls[more]

    Hedge fund CQS favors structured credit From BArrons.com: A hedge fund manager that can invest across the investment landscape says in his latest semi annual report this week that he's finding opportunities in structured credit -- particularly the shorter term, floating rate kind. Exampl