Beverly Chandler, Opalesque London:
The first view of August hedge fund returns from Eurekahedge revealed that they witnessed slightly negative returns in August amid increased risk aversion in global markets during the month. The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index was down 0.32% during the month, outperforming global stock indices as the MSCI World Index declined by 2.26% in August.
Key highlights for August 2013:
Global hedge fund AUM declined by more than US$6 billion in August
- Launch activity picks up pace in 2013 with more than 500 funds launched globally July year-to-date
- Hedge funds across major regions outperformed underlying markets in August
- Distressed debt investing remains the best performing strategy in 2013, up 10% as at end-August
- Japanese hedge funds outperformed the Nikkei 225 for the fourth consecutive month, up 18.82% year-to-date
- At 2013 year-to-date, Eurekahedge is tracking more than 600 funds that have delivered over 15% and 200 funds that are up more than 30%
Eurekahedge writes: "Risk aversion returned to global markets in August driven by a host of factors. The increased likelihood of the United States waging another war in the Middle East, weakening economic situation in emerging markets and continued concerns of QE tapering by the US Federal Reserve (Fed) were the main drivers of the negative market sentiment during ......................
To view our full article Click here