Beverly Chandler, Opalesque London: The May report from Eurekahedge shows that hedge funds witnessed the seventh consecutive month of positive returns in May, despite mixed returns in global markets. The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index was up 0.20% during the month, 3.89% year to date, against the backdrop of the MSCI World Index which was down 0.45% in May.
Eurekahedgeís key highlights for May 2013 included:
- Hedge funds witnessed the fifth consecutive month of net allocations and seventh consecutive month of positive returns - up 3.89% year-to-date
- Total asset flows for 2013 currently stand at $50bn with total size of the industry at $1.87tln
- Asia ex-Japan hedge funds outperformed underlying markets for three consecutive months - up 3.26% since end-February
- Eurekahedge is currently tracking almost 500 funds that have delivered more than 15% year-to-date and 250 funds that are up by over 20% year-to-date
- Distressed debt funds extended winning streak to 11 consecutive months, gaining 21% since end-June 2012
- CTA/managed futures funds declined by 1.69% in May 2013
In terms of the regional indices, Eurekahedge found that May started off on a good note with positive economic data from the US, leading to rallies in global equity markets, specifically in North America where market indices reached all-time highs. The firm writes: "The US dollar strengthened against most major cur......................
To view our full article Click here